Have you ever been scammed out of real life money playing a mmorpg? I just recently found out that it happened to me, and a few hundred other players in an old guild in Warhammer Online. How can it happen you are probably asking yourself? How much did I lose? How much money did the scammer steal from everyone in the guild?
It all started when I decided to join the largest zerg guild in Warhammer Online. At the time it was exactly what I was looking for. I was directly recruited from the guild leader himself. The guild was three full guild rosters strong, and growing. Over 1500 players proudly wore the guild tag.
Our guild leader was simply amazing. Every time he logged on, and got on vent magic happened in the game. No matter how much anyone else tried it was never as organized as when he was on. He had this leadership that drew people in. Everyone followed his commands, at least 95% of the order on Dark Crag.
Every guild member looked up to the guild leader. He was like a cult leader, and we didn't even know we were being brainwashed. Yes, he brainwashed us no differently than a televangelist on TV. All I can say he was very good at it.
Okay so you are still wondering how he brainwashed us to make him filthy rich. It was simple actually, and hundreds of us fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I know what everyone is thinking. How could he get any money from you in the game?
It is time to let the secret out. Once a month for about a week straight he would preach in guild chat, alliance chat (our three guilds), guild forums, and ventrilo that he needed paypal donations to pay for the 100 man vent, several domains, guild websites, and etc.
No one really thought about everyone else already donating to help. I am sure the costs were probably less than $50 a month, but he was pocketing thousands of dollars every month. Yes. I said thousands.
Once the guild started falling apart after going to Aion, and than back to World of Warcraft did people start realizing it. We soon figured out that the guild leader was making everyone feel guilty, and making us feel like no one was donating. He made us feel like money was coming out of his own pocket to keep everything afloat.
It was all a huge scam. He was stealing from the guild members that praised him. After it all came out it was pretty sad how much money he pocketed. I know personally I was donating $25 a month, and sadly most players were donating the same amount. In our estimates he made off with about $10,000+ every month for over a year after players came forward on their monthly recurring donations.
Has your guild ever asked for real life money donations?
It all started when I decided to join the largest zerg guild in Warhammer Online. At the time it was exactly what I was looking for. I was directly recruited from the guild leader himself. The guild was three full guild rosters strong, and growing. Over 1500 players proudly wore the guild tag.
Our guild leader was simply amazing. Every time he logged on, and got on vent magic happened in the game. No matter how much anyone else tried it was never as organized as when he was on. He had this leadership that drew people in. Everyone followed his commands, at least 95% of the order on Dark Crag.
Every guild member looked up to the guild leader. He was like a cult leader, and we didn't even know we were being brainwashed. Yes, he brainwashed us no differently than a televangelist on TV. All I can say he was very good at it.
Okay so you are still wondering how he brainwashed us to make him filthy rich. It was simple actually, and hundreds of us fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I know what everyone is thinking. How could he get any money from you in the game?
It is time to let the secret out. Once a month for about a week straight he would preach in guild chat, alliance chat (our three guilds), guild forums, and ventrilo that he needed paypal donations to pay for the 100 man vent, several domains, guild websites, and etc.
No one really thought about everyone else already donating to help. I am sure the costs were probably less than $50 a month, but he was pocketing thousands of dollars every month. Yes. I said thousands.
Once the guild started falling apart after going to Aion, and than back to World of Warcraft did people start realizing it. We soon figured out that the guild leader was making everyone feel guilty, and making us feel like no one was donating. He made us feel like money was coming out of his own pocket to keep everything afloat.
It was all a huge scam. He was stealing from the guild members that praised him. After it all came out it was pretty sad how much money he pocketed. I know personally I was donating $25 a month, and sadly most players were donating the same amount. In our estimates he made off with about $10,000+ every month for over a year after players came forward on their monthly recurring donations.
Has your guild ever asked for real life money donations?
